Food Technology

In Years 7, 8 and 9 students have fortnightly lessons in a wide variety of topics relating to Food Technology. Students study and develop skills in designing and making, cultural understanding, creativity and critical evaluation. They are encouraged to combine practical and technological skills with creative thinking to design and make products that meet lifestyle and consumer choices.

Each year, students start challenging projects that enable them to learn new skills and processes as well as research new topics. Each project is designed to allow students to enhance their skills and provide an opportunity to design and make a high quality product

In Year 7 the work focuses in particular on enabling pupils to gain experience and develop basic food preparation skills and a basic knowledge of food hygiene and safety. As part of their work in Year 8 students study healthy lifestyles and learn how to adapt recipes to follow healthy eating guidelines. They then use this knowledge to plan dishes and recipes for various client groups. Work in Year 9 particularly focuses on designing and making products for current market trends and different social, cultural and nutritional needs.

Practical skills in cooking together with sound nutritional knowledge are developed throughout Key Stage three.

At Key Stage 4 the department offers Food Technology as a popular and successful GCSE option. The course is assessed by 60% controlled assessment which requires students to complete two portfolios; one in Year 10 and one in Year 11. The remaining 40% is assessed by an examination which includes topics on: hygiene and safety, diet and nutrition, product analysis, new product development, industrial manufacturing and sustainability. Students follow the OCR Design and Technology: Food Technology specification. Further details of this course can be found here:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse-design-and-technology-food-technology-j302-from-2012

AS and A2 Food Technology is offered as an option in Key Stage 5 following the AQA Design and Technology: Food Technology course. Further details on this course can be found here:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/design-and-technology/a-level/design-and-technology-food-technology

As part of the A level course students have the opportunity to gain work related qualifications including level two certificates in Basic Food Hygiene and Food Nutrition and Healthy Eating.

Mrs C Smith Director of Learning csmith@saintben.derby.sch.uk